"The bees stung several students anywhere from one to 12 times
Source – USA Today Date: 22 October 2014
SAGINAW, Texas — More than 20 middle-school students were injured Tuesday when they were stung by bees during an outdoor physical education class.
MedStar EMS said the children ages 10 to 12 and were stung outside Highland Middle School, near Fort Worth, while playing soccer.
Paramedics said four sixth-graders were transported to Cook's Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth. One boy was in "semi-critical" condition because of difficulty breathing.
EMS spokesman Matt Zavadsky said the other three students had minor reactions but were taken to the hospital to be checked. The other children were treated at the scene.
As the students were tended to, the school district's exterminator sucked the bees out of an irrigation valve box.
"There was a lot of screaming," said Isaac Armendariz, a Highland student, who was among the 22 children stung. "The coaches were just trying to get everyone. All the kids were screaming trying to get the bees off their backs."
Isaac got stung by beees in the neck and leg.
"We had several students who were stung anywhere from one to 12 times," said Heath Stone, a supervisor with MedStar ambulance service. He said the bees were found to be aggressive, and are being sent for testing to see if they are Africanized bees.
Although school continued, many parents came to get their children early, like Isaac's dad, Rob Choate.
"I'm going to monitor him … get some Benadryl in him … and hopefully he'll be going to school tomorrow," Choate said.
A spokesperson for the Eagle Mountain-Saginaw Independent School District said the bees have been euthanized. And while they think they got them all, they'll be monitoring the track area closely before opening it again for student use.
Contributing: Jordan Armstrong, WFAA-TV, and The Associated Press